2009 UPCOMING EVENTS (additional information coming)

  • JEFF BLOUNT MEMORIAL GOLF TOURNAMENT (POSTPONED)
  • APRIL 25 CHARITY MOTORCYCLE RIDE PROSPECT METHODIST
  • JUNE 8-12 JEFF'S BLOUNT ALL STAR BASEBALL CAMP
  • JUNE 11-14 HS SUMMER BASEBALL TOURNAMENT
  • AUG/SEPT BIKE RIDE FUNDRAISER

Saturday, August 23, 2008

PEOPLE COME INTO YOUR LIFE FOR A REASON

Very few people know what my connection to Jeff and Tina is, so here goes. I'm a single parent and have been since Nicholas' birth. This is not a handicap or struggle like most single parents face because we started out this way. I've have always been fortunate to have good male role models in Nicholas' life, including his father and my late father. The best advice that a child psychologist gave me was to make sure there are always strong, good men in Nicholas' life- ie teachers, coaches, family etc... to balance the abundance of female influence.
When Nicholas was of age, I signed him up for 5/6 baseball. He just met the age requirement on the cut off day so he played his first season as a 4 year old. People come into your life for a reason and after Nicholas was drafted by Jeff and we met him, I knew more than baseball skills would come from this relationship.
(above DNF at Peachtree 8/22/08) Nicholas, at 4 years old, hero worshiped Jeff Blount. He played right-center field for the Cardinals who lost only one game the entire season (playoffs and it still hurts). I do not doubt that Jeff is capable of losing his composure at times, but in front of my 4 year old, he was nothing but an incredible coach who inspired these kids to play their best, behave their best and to never give up. It is influences like Jeff that are helping me raise a future gentleman and for that I am truly grateful. Only a person in my shoes can truly appreciate how fortunate we were to get Jeff as Nicholas' coach.

This is Nicholas at 7 years old. DNF was at RYBA/ field 12 practicing for the recreation season that starts next month. Even after the Cardinals ended, we kept in touch with Jeff & Tina. Nicholas not only looked up to Jeff, but he also looked up to the older players that he had played with on the Cardinals, including Drew, Cody Lewis and Blake Maddox. Despite still being in the 5/6 group, we would (and still do) go and see Jeff and the other kids play. My hope is that one day, Nicholas will have the opportunity to be coached by Jeff again.

No comments:

2006 5/6 CARDINALS

2006 5/6 CARDINALS